A marketing coordinator is responsible for coordinating the company’s marketing plans and helping to maintain its good position in the market. Marketing coordinators help develop plans and strategies and uses goal-setting to ensure outcomes. They work as the bridge between the marketing management team, employees, vendors, and clients. Their task is to study the market in depth in order to implement strategies that improve the company or brand’s image in the marketplace.
Marketing coordinators must have skills and knowledge about the current market and its resources. Among their primary tasks are doing research and analysis, drafting reports, creating advertisements, and promoting the products to increase the customer base. Maintaining creativity to upgrade the company’s image is an essential key for marketing coordinators.
Responsibilities of Marketing Coordinators
The responsibility of a marketing coordinator varies from company to company. In some companies this may be an entry-level position where you can develop your skills on the job; other companies prefer to have a seasoned pro in this role and will assign greater responsibility to it.
So, what is the job description of marketing coordinators?
- Planning and Implementation of Strategy
A fool-proof marketing plan can take the business upwards. It’s important to make a simple but profitable strategy to execute it.
The market is full of competitors. So marketing coordinators must implement their ideas in a way to attract customers consistently and efficiently.
- Assisting with the Development
Development means growth. It involves seeking opportunities for new products and enhancing the current ones. Thus, marketing coordinators help ensure brand strength and boost sales.
- Research and Analyzing on-going market
A detailed understanding of the current market is a key component. Marketing coordinators do thorough research and analyze consumer’s interests, values, demands and trends to ensure positive outcomes for the company’s marketing efforts.
- Evaluate and Monitoring
Continuous monitoring of executed plans helps marketing coordinators to optimize and make corrections. Being up-to-date with trends is a crucial responsibility for a marketing coordinator. In addition, constant evaluation gives a clear image of business performance and consistency.
Marketing coordinators coordinate and optimize the company’s advertising material or content to ensure the maximum value. Coordinating events, campaigns, and promotions and managing the efficient use of marketing content are the practical responsibilities of the marketing coordinator. Apart from this, they coordinate meetings with other business associates and team members to promote a clear vision of the company’s branding.
- Providing Advice and Support
Marketing coordinators give valuable marketing advice to the sales team about the brand vision and customer profile. This is a crucial support for growth in sales.
- Preparing Annual Report
Last but not least, the marketing coordinator prepares monthly, quarterly and annual reports on budget expenses, ROI, and competitors’ behavior to management. These summaries track the effectiveness of past and ongoing marketing activities and help to plan future campaigns.
Required Education and Experience
Candidate aiming to become marketing coordinator should have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business administration, management, public relations, or sales (some companies prefer an MBA degree).
- Working experience (2-4 years) in digital marketing and graphic design.
- Working knowledge of marketing databases, social media engagement and campaigns.
Marketing Coordinator Skills
Along with experienced candidates, entry-level candidates are also welcomed. Generally, they are provided with on-site training. But one must have the following attributes:
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Experience of identifying target audiences
- Strong project management skills
- Analytical skills
- Market research knowledge
- Technology as well as social media skills
- SEO skills
- Multitasking skills
- Resourcefulness and high energy
- Problem-solving skills
- Decision-making under pressure
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office
The salary of marketing coordinators depends on education, skills, experience or location. Based on the salary structure in the US, the entry-level salary of a junior marketing coordinator can be between $36,000-$45,500 per year. On the other hand, for an experienced professional, it can be up to $72,000. The average base salary in 2020 is $58,099 in NY. Using the example of $45,500 per year, here is how that breaks down over different time periods:
- Per hour- $16
- Per day- $166
- Per month- $3218
- Per year- $45,457
Training & Certifications
An entry-level marketing coordinator should have a bachelor’s degree in a relevant field. They will receive on-the-job training to acquire knowledge and skills.
There are few useful certifications for marketing professionals:
- Google Ads certification
- Google Analytic certification
- PCM (Professional Certified Marketer) certification
- Facebook Blueprint certification
- YouTube certification
- Digital Garage certification
- HubSpot Content Marketing certification
- HubSpot Inbound Marketing certification
How do You Become a Marketing Coordinator?
- Complete a bachelor’s degree in marketing or an MBA. A marketing internship can enhance your appeal.
- Through training you can gain real-world marketing experience.
- Gain knowledge and skills to research market trends.
- Highlight your resume with your skills, experiences and specific involvement in the marketing field.
Communication skill, both verbal and written, is an important key in marketing.
How to Excel in this Position?
If you have marketing or sales experience, then you can get an offer to become marketing coordinator. Your skills and expertise will boost your chance to excel in this position.
You may need to take risks and big steps to achieve success. To meet deadline, you must be able to multitask and perform under pressure. Only then will you become an influencer in this position of marketing coordinator.