A marketing coordinator’s job is to assist the company’s marketing department by taking care of all the promotional activities of the organization. They conduct market research to understand the latest trends, identify the target audience, and execute sponsored campaigns.
The roles and responsibilities of a marketing coordinator may vary based on the requirements of the company. However, the primary role of a marketing coordinator is to communicate and collaborate with clients, employers, the finance teams, and other team members to make every project a success.
The tasks of a marketing coordinator include: arranging events, assisting the development team, social media marketing, email monitoring, creating content and many more.
If you have a marketing degree and not sure where to start your career, then marketing coordinator can be an entry-level job for you. Though, some companies do have openings for experienced senior marketing coordinators too.
Apart from a bachelor’s degree, the main skills a marketing coordinator needs to possess are creativity, superb communication skills and project management capabilities.
Responsibilities of Marketing Coordinators
Based on the experience and company requirements, the responsibility of a marketing coordinator varies. This means the senior coordinators have more liabilities than fresher employees. Let’s see what are the major responsibility of a marketing coordinator.
- Coming up with innovative marketing ideas and taking the initiative to execute them.
- Understand what promotion plan is suitable for the company and then perform the activities such as printing, online content, broadcasting, etc.
- Assisting the marketing & designing teams by creating advertising campaigns.
- Setting up tracking systems for all kinds of online and offline marketing promotional activities.
- Conducting research to find out all the marketing opportunities.
- Arranging proper media coverage for the marketing projects.
- Collaborating with the vendors and the contractors and handling the dealings.
- Maintaining confidentiality for both the clients and company.
- Developing strong internal communication systems and managing them to avoid any confusion.
- Collating all the content to assist the marketing and development team.
- Going through all the complex data and making simplified and user-friendly formats out of those data for the clients.
- Increasing and maintaining the brand value of the company.
- Channeling all the advertising efforts in proper media.
Candidate aiming to become marketing coordinator should have these qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, business administration, management, public relations, or sales.
- Some companies prefer an MBA degree.
- Working experience (2-4 years) in digital marketing and graphic design.
- Working knowledge of marketing database, social media engagement and campaigns.
Marketing Coordinator Skills
Not only experienced candidates but freshers also get hired for the post. The companies arrange on-site training sessions for new candidates. To get hired in a marketing coordinator position, one needs to have the following criterion:
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Knowledge of identifying target audiences
- Strong project management skills
- Analytical skills
- Market research knowledge
- Extensive knowledge about social media platforms
- SEO skills
- Must be creative
- Multitasking skills
- Be resourceful and energetic
- Problem- solving skills in a specific time period
- Quick decision-maker
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Office.
Marketing Coordinator Salary
The salary of marketing coordinators depends on education, skills, experience and location. Based on the salary structure in the US, the entry-level salary of a junior marketing coordinator can be between $36,000-$45,500 per year. Whereas, for an experienced, it can be up to $72,000 per annum. The average base salary in median wage is $58,099 in 2020 in NY.
- Per hour- $16
- Per day- $166
- Per month- $3218
- Per year- $45,457
Let’s look into the salary depending on salary range percentile.
Training & Certifications
After getting a bachelor’s degree in relevant fields one can apply for a marketing coordinator job. while working with the marketing director, the marketing coordinators receive on-job training to brush up their skills. Apart from the entry-level employees, other people experienced in sales or marketing can apply for this job too.
Though the certification is not essential to get hired for this job, still it does make you a strong and competitive applicant.
Some useful certifications are:
Google Analytics Certification: This certification process lets you go through with the digital marketing strategies by monitoring and analyzing them. You can get the certification by attending online classes and appear for the exam and successfully pass it. To maintain the certification, you need to reappear for the exams every year.
PCM (Professional Certified Marketer) Certification: The PCM Certification is affiliated with the American Marketing Association. If you are interested in public relations, social media and project branding, then you can go for this certification. After you pass the examination, you need to continue the education and retake the exam every three years for renewing the certification.
YouTube Certification: YouTube Marketing Certification will help you to get knowledge on video content and digital marketing strategies to drive traffic. Same as Google Analytics, you need to pass the exam to complete the certification process and retake the exams every year to maintain the certification.
Other than these, there are other certifications available too such as:
- Facebook BluePrint
- Digital Garage Certification
- HubSpot Content Marketing Certification
- Hubspot Inbound Marketing Certification
You can choose any certification process at your convenience.
How to Become a Marketing Coordinator?
- Complete the bachelor’s degree in marketing or MBA. Possibly an internship can enhance your scope.
- Through training, you can gain real-world marketing experience. To succeed in this field, you need to have strong and in-depth marketing knowledge and sales skills.
- Understand the on-going market trends with proper research.
- A great resume would definitely help you in getting the job. Highlight your resume with your skills, experiences and specific involvement in marketing fields.
- Communication is the important key in marketing. You need to ace both verbal and written communication skills.
- Apply for the marketing coordinator job and drive your strategies to success.
Communication skill, both verbal and written, is an important key in marketing.
Apart from your skills, the willingness to succeed in the marketing field will help you to excel as a marketing coordinator. From printing labels to performing in a promotional campaign- a marketing coordinator needs to put the same amount of effort and dedication into making the project hit.
In simple words, if you are eager to learn and not afraid to take any risk, then only you can become a rockstar marketing coordinator.