Choosing the right career path often confuses the youth and that’s one of the reasons they flood the internet with questions on career choices. For example, “Is basic industries a good career path” – if that’s the question you have on your mind, then this is the right article for you.
Basic industries are essential for the economy of a country. This is a good career path as it offers numerous opportunities in various fields that require different education levels and skills. It’s an excellent opportunity to earn a good amount by working in any of the basic industries like agriculture, steel, mining, chemical, and others.
As many basic industries produce various raw materials for other industries, it wouldn’t be enough to say that basic industries are a promising career path. Hence, if you’re interested in the basic industry field, read the article to know more about this career path.
What are Basic Industries?
Basic industries refer to those industries that supply raw materials to all the other industries. The raw materials are used to create different usable products. Some examples of basic industries are those engaged in discovering, mining, developing, manufacturing, and processing natural resources or raw materials like copper, iron, steel, and aluminum.
Types of Basic Industries
The basic industry field includes numerous industries that discover, develop, and process raw materials for other industries that make final products from them. Here we’ve discussed the main segments of basic industries and the most popular job roles.
Agriculture is undoubtedly the primary industry for some developed and underdeveloped countries. This is because the import and export business of a country depends on it. As it is such an important industry, it offers various job roles. Some of the popular jobs in this sector are:
- Plant Scientist
- Food Scientist
- Animal Scientist
Mining is another essential industry responsible for supplying raw materials like gold, coal, iron ore, etc., that get extracted from the ground.
The process involves two phases, the first one is exploring and the second one is construction planning. Permits are required for mining plans and execution. The job offers you can get are:
- Purchase Officer.
- Mining Engineer.
- Geotechnical Engineer
- Process Manager.
Paper and Pulp
The paper and pulp industry handles some of the small but necessary domains. Paper is used in industries like education, packaging and hygiene, whereas pulp gets used in textiles. If you are interested in this industry, then you can have job offers like:
- Mill operator
- Other technical and managerial positions in paper and pulp mills.
Oil and Gas industry
The oil and gas industry is one of the prime industries all over the world. Certainly, this industry falls under the petroleum industry and it is divided into three parts – upstream, midstream, and downstream.
The main focus of upstream companies is to explore and produce gas and oil. The midstream companies focus on storing and transporting those products. And the downstream companies do the job of operating refineries and cleaning the oil. The jobs available in this industry include:
- Oil rig worker
- Petroleum geological engineer
- Oil field worker
- Offshore worker
The chemical industry is responsible for transforming raw materials into various gas or chemical solutions that get used by other industries. The jobs include:
- Chemical Engineer
- Plant Operator
- Material Scientist
- Chemical Technician.
Steel and Metal
The construction or real estate industry cannot progress any further without utilizing steel and iron. Other metals are also necessary for other industries. Some common jobs are:
- Iron Worker
- Metal Fabricator
- Sheet Metal
Some of the profitable utility industries are electricity, water, and gas. These are the top necessities for any household or organization. Some of the notable jobs are:
- Field Installers.
- Utility Engineer.
- Utility Inspector.
- Wastewater Treatment Technician.
What Kind of Job Opportunities are Available in the Basic Industries?
Basic industries basically work on a brick-and-mortar business model. This kind of industry includes everything from agriculture to iron and steel manufacturing. How do you know Is basic industries a good career path? The basic industry is a labor-intensive sector, so there is a growing need for employees or professionals. Following are some opportunities available in basic industries:
- Oil Field Worker
- Textile Technician
- Chemical Technician
As mentioned, basic industries produce raw materials for other industries to manufacture the final products. Although most of the time they get unnoticed, areas with more job opportunities have more dense populations.
Job opportunities available in the basic industries are:
- Metallurgists work with miners and are involved with the extraction and processing of various metals and alloys.
- Agronomists work with farmers and conduct experiments to develop and increase crop production.
- Logging workers in the logging business
- Textile workers for the textile sector
- Geologists for natural mineral resources
- Health and safety officers who provide safety training to labours.
- Conservation scientists and foresters who work in the forestry area.
- Drilling or Mining engineers for petrol and mineral sector.
How much Salary You Can Expect to Choose Basic Industry as a Career Path
A basic industry career path offers an average salary of $30,000. However, depending on your education level and experience, the salary can range from $20,000 to $40,000. Your salary can increase up to $50,000 with more experience and education. It offers a high salary for management and executive position.
Here’s a list containing the basic industry annual payment.
- Machinist: $45,000
- Chemical Engineer: $108,540
- Ironworker: $39,000
- Miner jobs: $44,000
- Textile designer: $64,000
- Drilling Engineer: $101,545
- Metal fabricator: $32,00
- Logger: $68,000
- Forensic Scientist: $60,216
- Health and Safety Officer: $54,000
- Metallurgists: $93,360
- Electrician: $59,190
Why Are Basic Industries A Good Career Path?
- The basic industry sector offers high-paying salaries, especially for entry-level positions. It even provides satisfied job roles.
- There is a constant need for employees or professionals in different types of basic industries due to the increasing demand for raw materials.
- The work of basic industry can be rewarding in respect of satisfaction after the end of a project. This career path can also have a huge positive impact on the lives of people.
- The work of basic industry can be extremely challenging and physically demanding, which can be the best way to stay healthy and get in shape.
- There are generally opportunities for development in basic industries that can offer more responsibility and higher pay.
- People working in basic industries experience different types of situations and have to handle so many responsibilities. This helps in gathering top-notch experience and in-depth knowledge of the field.
Advantages of Working in Basic Industries
Are you still thinking, is basic industry a good career Path? If so, the answer is yes. You can choose this career path as there are many advantages of working in basic industries.
- The biggest advantage of working in basic industries is that your job will always be in demand. Also, there are various available jobs in basic industries. It means you can always find a job in this sector.
- You can choose jobs in basic industries based on your skills and abilities.
- The basic industry sector offers a high salary. It’s often considered a high-paying field of the economy.
- Numerous companies in the basic industries offer various opportunities for development that you can use to get a senior position.
- The job in basic industries is secure. It is a fact that the necessity for raw materials will never go away, even in a bad economic situation. People will still have to buy things related to their basic necessities. That’s why the basic industry will have the same consistency.
- Part-time jobs in the basic industry sometimes offer many benefits and good wages.
Disadvantages of Working in basic Industries
Despite many advantages, there are a few disadvantages of basic industries. Jobs in basic industries like agriculture and construction can require extended work hours along with difficult working conditions and low pay. Jobs in this field are very physically demanding and can be done in all kinds of weather.